• Botany is the science of understanding plants including their classification, form and function. Botany can be defined as the scientific study of plant life. It is also called plant science,phytology, or plant biology. The study of life is biology, and the word biology is composed of 2 Greek roots “bio” which mean “life” “logi” which mean “study of”. Biology as a science is concerned with all lifeplant
and animal, but botany is interested in plant life in particular.
• Plant Taxonomy
– Plant identification, naming and classification
• Plant Morphology
– Plant form and anatomy
• Plant Physiology
– Plant functions and reactions
•An organisms ability to convert food into living cells is the result of complex chemical reactions that transform nutrients into the chemical components needed to build cells.
• The process of releasing energy from nutrients for growth and development is called cellular respiration.
- The collection of all of the chemical reactions and energy transfers necessary for growth, maintenance, and reproduction is called metabolism
• Metabolic reactions go on constantly. What would the condition be called when all metabolic functions cease?
All living things reproduce in some fashion. All living things die. Species perpetuate themselves through reproduction.
• Reproduction involves the transfer of hereditary information from one generation to the next by deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). It is the molecular vehicle or blueprint that is used to build the next generation, it is a mixture of the parents DNA.
• Asexual reproduction occurs in simple organisms such as an amoeba, where after reaching a certain size a single parent divides in half giving rise to two new amoebas
• Prior to division an amoeba makes a copy of its DNA so that one complete set of DNA is passed on to each new individual. Because the DNA is identical, each individual is identical.
• In complex organisms two parents are required for reproduction. An egg and a sperm are each contributed by the respective parents and their respective DNA is combined to form a new individual
• In this case the offspring is not identical to either parent because the DNA is different from both parents.
Visit this link:
Source: Lecture from Mr. SM Sitompul